Saturday, October 10, 2009

Virtual PC 2007 corrupted ubuntu vm!!!

But not really-- the fix was simple.

I do my development on a virtual ubuntu linux machine under Virtual PC 2007 on my Vista laptop: it ensures that wherever I go, my work can come with me. I was reading about the next release of VPC ("Virtual PC") on Microsoft's website, and I was intrigued to check it out. Part of the installation instructions said to verify that the CPU can handle virtualization and that the BIOS virtualization feature is enabled. That led me to a BIOS update (ok, 12 versions worth, if they're totally sequential). Once I was up and running, I set out to install from a fresh Ubuntu .iso just because... then when I went to try my old VM ("with all my current and past development"), I got a nasty corruption error!! ARrrGghhh!!

I didn't panic. But I was not thrilled.

Long story short: VPC setting "Bios/CPU Virtualization" is VPC-wide. I disabled virtualization in bios which in turn turned it off in VPC settings, and voila, my old vm was back.

Still confused why I cannot get ubuntu 9.02 to install under vpc2007 though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home